PREVIEW: Crafting Performance In The Edit - With 'Des' Director Lewis Arnold & Editor Sacha Szwarc!May 01, 2020
*Act On This members get access to the FULL 2.5 HOUR recording of this feature, in BOTH video and audio-only formats. CLICK HERE to grab your PREMIUM membership NOW!
Lewis Arnold is one of the most in-demand directors in TV - having been responsible for HUGE successes, such as Broadchurch, Humans, Cleaning Up, Dark Money and more.
Fresh off the set of brand new ITV drama, Des - starring David Tennant, Jason Watkins and Daniel Mays - Lewis dropped by for a 2.5 HOUR chat, with his chief editor, Sacha Szwarc, to discuss all things acting, and how this duo craft an actor's performance in the edit.
Members of Act On This, also got the chance to jump on camera, for some 1-2-1 career coaching!
During the broadcast, we discuss:
- A brief intro on Lewis' and Sacha's previous work, and how they met.
- New drama 'Des' - and the story it tells.
- Sacha's workflow, as an editor, on a big TV drama like 'Des'.
- The weekly review process that the editor, director and execs go through on a shoot.
- How Sacha will watch EVERY single take of a scene he receives.
- Putting the first cut of an episode together.
- What Sacha wants EVERY actor to think about on set.
- How an editor can completely alter the tone of a scene, in the edit.
- Why Lewis wants actors to play with material in a casting, and on set.
- How Sacha will often use footage, shot before 'Action' and after 'Cut'.
- Other ways a performance can be enhanced in the edit.
- Continuity and whether it's important or not?
- Why you can't be in the moment, unless you've really done the work.
- The reasons scenes get cut, and why it's almost ALWAYS not the actor's fault.
- Learning how to edit your own material as an actor.
- Using social media to network with directors, editors and other industry creatives.
- Working for free - and when it's appropriate.
- How many takes, is too many takes?
- And MUCH MUCH more!
These guys offer SO MUCH VALUE!
Hit 'play' NOW!
Watch a PREVIEW of this broadcast above, then grab your PREMIUM membership to unlock the full chat!
It's waiting for you in the Members' Area!